Hello everyone! I hope you’re well. WIPocalypse is the monthly check-in SAL hosted by Measi on her blog, and via the Facebook group – we welcome all enablers! Click on the icon to the right to learn more.
I’m a bit time poor this week so it’s WIP Wednesday as well. Last week I was in Detention so it was 1000 stitches in either blue ink or on words. I chose to make a start on the Emma Congdon/Stitchrovia quotes that match one of my already FFO pieces & knocked that out fairly easily, especially as we had a whole work day waiting on the systems to get back online. It was a loooong day. This current week is in the “too hard” basket for me, so I’m doing penalty stitches on Shakespeare’s Fairies.
In July, I’ve tried hard to complete each of the weekly #magicalstitches homework tasks, and knocked out several of the monthly EC as well as two Ultimate on Mermaid of Atlantis:
- Fairy Idyll 2049
- Mermaid of Atlantis 4692
- Shakespeare’s Fairies 744
- Tapestry Cat 1049
- Pumpkin Carriages 758
- Stitchrovia There’s Always Time for Tea 230
- Stitchrovia Shakespeare Quote 1479
- Stitchrovia Austen Quote 320
That’s over 10K stitches for the month!
I also have two FO – I just kept working on the Stitchrovia Tea piece until I finished it. I am not sure how I will FFO it yet. I didn’t count the remaining stitches as they didn’t fit a homework theme at the time I completed them. I did count the ones for Shakespeare Quote, as they worked into one & a bit of the extra credit tasks. That one will be a hoop finish to match the Tolkien quote that is already on my wall.
Both of these are available in Emma’s Etsy shop.
- WIPocalypse One-A-Day with a twist – just stitch every day SWEET AS
- Hello May HECK NO
- Don’t spend! DEFINTIELY NO
- Complete the Year 5 Extra Credit homework (4/11 to go)
- Complete Mermaid of Atlantis stitching (seriously possible if the weekly homework goes my way)
- No Spend!
Question of the Month: How do you get yourself out of a stitching drought?
I’ve previously gone with finding a new start, just picking one WIP, ignoring stitching entirely & finding some SAL to check into. It is odd for me to go more than a few days without stitching now but last year there was a couple of sparse months. Right now I’m in a scrap drought that I can’t shake but it will pass.
SFS: even tho I didn’t manage a no-spend month (needing both DMC & Kreinik for MOA) I had those two Stitchrovia finishes and I’m in the black.
Hello everyone! My resolve for April is to be not as inwardly focused, so you should see a bit more of me. It was partially depression, partially feeling overwhelmed that lead to a quiet March, blog-wise. With what happened in Christchurch, while I wasn’t directly affected, it’s been a massive shock and I’m certainly not ready to articulate my feelings there. I will share more of our family time as there’s some scenery later on this month.
As you saw in my last post, I was in the red for SFS. Luckily one of the week’s “homework” pieces handed out yesterday in #magicalstitches was to choose a piece that was 75% done and work 300 stitches on it. I wasn’t actually sure that I had 300 stitches left but luckily – 409 including the backstitch! This is a portion of Little House Needlework’s Captains Inn (2007) on 28ct Haystack from Countrystitch, full conversion except for DMC blanc. Everything is in the Crescent Colours I’ve stashed, except for the sea is a Waterlilly & the anchor is DMC.
|LHN Captain’s Inn Sign
|CC Green Onion
||WL 229 Oasis
as of this morning
Well. When I said earlier that 2018 wasn’t going to be my busiest stitchy year, I wasn’t wrong.
Goals (bracket date indicates the start month & year):
- Mirabilia Ashley’s Roses RR section (Dec 2018) COMPLETED
- Semco Toy Story Sampler (October 2013) – Zac will be 15 soon, & this needs to be done before then! But first I have to hunt it down… DIDN’T TOUCH IT BUT I FOUND IT
- Mirabilia Fairy Idyll (September 2017) – Gail has loaned me the chart, & I want to return it this year HALF-WAY THRU
- TW Tapestry Cat (Dec 2006!) – because it deserves progress DIDN’T TOUCH IT
- Mirabilia Persephone (May 2015) –because I want to get thru that skirt! COMPLETED
- Jane Austen SAL (December 2017) –because I want to keep up with the readings FLAGGED
In addition to the above, I did get a few more things completed, & a few starts:
- LHN Bethlehem (which I forgot to get framed for this Christmas)
- Melinda’s RR choice, Gigi
- Lizzie*Kate’s Be Bold
- LHN Summer Sampler (I’m FFO’ing that this weekend, finally, as it’s now Summer down here)
- Mill Hill ornaments – two each of the Beehive, Trinidad Santa, Peridot and one re-worked Santa for Bec
- Mirabillia’s Portrait of Antique Vines (converted)
- Mirabilia Renaissance Mermaid for my own RR (& then I beaded it all)
- Home*Stitch*Ness Remembrance Wreath (FFO)
- Joy embroidery wreath (FFO)
- Clouds Factory’s Princess Bride
- Cathy’s Hello December, January & February (also FFO)
I am very close to my first 2019 finish – a conversion of Jardin Prive’s Eiffel Quaker.
I gave up Stitch From Stash in November. I went stupid from all the stress and on a spending spree. Overall the year finished $126 in “debt” but I plan to be better in 2019. I’ve begun a course of antidepressants and things are so much better – I’m not anxious (or as anxious) as I was so yay for that.
Anyways, Happy New Year & I’ll be back for the Intro & 2019 Goals post next week.
WIPocalypse is hosted by Mel at her blog http://measi.net/measiblog/ ; it’s my favourite SAL, mostly due to the host organisation (which is spot on), the range of topics & the wide variety of stitchers participating. There’s always something to oooh over! Click on the link to the right.
- Finish Persephone – YAY!
- Bead the top third of Fairy Idyll – done, despite somehow losing two packs of beads.
- Complete the wings, Rabbit’s Kreinik ball & face/neck/back over one stitching of FI’s skin – partially done as I completed the wings last night
- FO the two Mill Hill Peridot ornies – up to beading
- FO the Celebration Santa gift – found out I ripped the plastic canvas, so it may be a re-start.
SEPTEMBER QUESTION: How do you keep your stitching stash organised?
I have the Stash Cache app on my phone, so as long as I keep that updated, I’m sweet there. Most of my patterns are in clearbooks, except for my Mira & Nora stash – that’s in a basket I can pull out and play with (unless the chart is second hand & without the folder – those are in a clearbook to protect the chart). I have four thread boxes of purely DMC, with speciality threads in another; beads are in a Sistema plastic box. But my SIL found a replica stitching box that will soon become the home for everything! It needs to be pulled apart & re-painted, as that dark stain just won’t work for me, but it’s sturdy enough.
STITCH FROM STASH: This isn’t in as great shape as I had hoped, as twice someone’s pulled out from a purchase, and I still have a second Lady Mira + bead pack for sale. I also hit up every Op Shop between Palmerston North & New Plymouth last month & spent a bit (found an OOP Prairie Schooler that I am really pleased to have tho).
|Fox Rapunzel, Aphrodite & Bellas
|Spotlight 13 DMC
|Op Shop Finds
|SOLD Biancabella (Shayla)
|Mira Mermaid (round robin)
|Rollover + Budget
|Total Available Budget
Part of my new/limited Mirabilia stash arrived, so I’ve updated my phone Stash Cache and uploaded the files for those of you who use the app.
- Lady Mirabilia
- Lady of the Flag
NOTE these are “pure” and don’t have my planned conversions.
When I look back at my January post, I think “you plonker”. I was far too ambitious!
The rotation plans were loosely worked around the following:
- StitchMaynia’s monthly SAL e.g. Feb is “fandom” SOMETIMES
- StitchMaynia’s colour SAL (this is only on the 15th of each month). SOMETIMES
- The Never Ending Band Sampler. NOPE
- The Magazine SAL. NOPE
- The Round Robin piece, whatever it is and whenever it arrives. YEP
- Focus on a Finish – whatever needs completing from the above or a current WIP that is nearly there. Mermaids of the Deep will be high on that list. UH HUH, REALLY? FOCUS?
Going into 2017, I had the following starts (listed in age!!):
- TW Tapestry Cat (Dec 2006!) WORKED ON IN 2017
- Semco Toy Story Sampler (October 2013) STILL RESTING
- Nora Corbett Arezzo (March 2014) WORKED ON, FROGGED, WORKED SOME MORE, IN TIME OUT
- Mirabilia Persephone (May 2015) BARELY WORKED ON – JUST A COLOUR DAY
- Nora Corbett Blitzen (as part of my reindeer parade, Rudolph started in July 2015) FINISHED Blitzen, started Prancer
- Mirabilia Mermaids of the Deep Blue (December 2015) FINISHED
- Mirabilia Raven Queen (January 2016) NOPE, RESTED ALL YEAR
- Tamara Blackwork (September 2016) I THINK I WANT TO FROG THIS ENTIRELY
- Never Ending Band Sampler NOPE
- Lavender & Lace Celtic Winter (December 2016) A FEW STITCHES ONLY
While I got some new starts & finishes in 2017, most excitedly the Mirabilia Andromeda, I think that I will work on focus pieces for 2018, and dribble in the odd new start that I have kitted. I’ll ignore the SM & SFS themed SALs except where my focus piece matches the theme e.g. in the FB Teresa Wentzler group (also run by Mel!) January is animals, April is nature & both of those would match Tapestry Cat. I’m taking the two-monthly Jane Austen SAL and I’m going to mix & match different pieces to make a unique sampler of quotes & icons. More on this in the next update!
So my focus pieces for 2018 (given that I want to end in the black for SFS also) are in order of attention:
- Mirabilia Ashley’s Roses RR section (Dec 2018)
- Semco Toy Story Sampler (October 2013) – Zac will be 15 soon, & this needs to be done before then! But first I have to hunt it down…
- Mirabilia Fairy Idyll (September 2017) – Gail has loaned me the chart, & I want to return it in 2018
- TW Tapestry Cat (Dec 2006!) – because it deserves progress
- Mirabilia Persephone (May 2015) –because I want to get thru that skirt!
- Jane Austen SAL (December 2017) –because I want to keep up with the readings
I’m going to throw in a few Small & Medium pieces, along with the Mill Hill Santa kits that I already have (Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Barbados, Trinidad, Venice & Genoa, remembering that I do two of each of these)
- Lizzie*Kate Don’t Get Your Tinsel in a Tangle
- Lizzie*Kate Wise Men Still Seek Him
- Lizzie*Kate Coffee Time – Today’s Good Mood (already started)
- Fancy letter P (I forget the designer)
- Little House Needlework’s Bethlehem
- Plum St Sampler’s Patriotic Freebie
I’m going to try to limit my purchases also. Any planned stuff must come from a local supplier, no more overseas blitzes! I’m also pulling out of an international sales group (most participants wouldn’t post to NZ in any case) & removing myself from mailing lists. Wish me luck!
Hiya! These three arrived, second-hand, from a private seller in the States yesterday. Woot! I want to find the Winter & Spring samplers, so if anyone has those to hand & wants to sell, please hit me up.
Files are now up on my Stash Cache page as DMC or converted to DMC.