So it’s been a long while since I wrote. If you haven’t been on my IG, we’ve got a lot to catch up on.
Family-wise, we’ve grown although maybe not in the expected way. Back in February, Si was putting in the last of the Expol underfloor insulation. I was in the room above him and I heard an “oh shit!’ then a much much louder “go and get your mother!”. I went around and under the house where he told me that he thought we had rats. We don’t even have a compost bin and live in suburbia, and I thought this was really unrealistic. Sure enough, after I grabbed his headtorch and had a look, it wasn’t. I was exceptionally passive aggressive when I made the torch shine directly in his eyes and said “…it’s kittens”.
Turns out Mama Cat was dumped when the people behind us moved out. She wasn’t much more than a kitten herself and was malnourished and therefore so were the kittens. We found three live kittens and brought them into the house to be warmed up and fed. So now we have Charlie (was 205gm), Elise (was 225gm) and Kayn (was 265gm) – at nearly six months, Kayn is “average” while the girls are much smaller, but everyone is now thriving. Mama is now spayed and re-homed, but the three terrors are staying with us.
And I have a teenager again – and we’ve done the high school visit. Ouch.
Work-wise, nothing much has changed for me. The role has reduced down again, so it’s getting to time to look for something more. I have read over the material for the next Tikanga paper, and decided not to proceed there. I think language might be the go, or a dressmaking course. Honestly, it’s all about me so I’ll move the way I want to.
Reading-wise, I am devouring older Nora Roberts, Deb Kastner, Becky Wade and anything that has a Christian/K-9 Assistance trope. Luckily that’s a huge swathe of Harlequin novels so I’ll be there until that runs out. Re-watching older episodes of Grey’s Anatomy, Taskmaster UK, and The Great British Sewing Bee. I made a lined waistcoat for Si, for his formal awards dinner (his team theme was loud), and now I’ve mastered darts and bagging out. Woot. Patrick Grant would still be looking down his nose at it!
Stitching wise, I have finished quite a few things, started some more and purchased even more. I have mastered a few embroidery stitches – queen was a real headache to ensure it was even – and have put off starting a Chatelaine mandala as (insert gasps here) I have fallen into the full coverage rabbit hole. I know. I know!! Please God, let me live to 102… Pattern Keeper is an amazing app
- Mirabilia Fairy Idyll
- HOD North Pole Trading Company (adapted to two antlers, not three)
- Mill Hill Sunday Night (two of course, and FFO’d)
- HOD Cookie Exchange SAL (need to FFO on a kitchen board)
- HOD Reflect Upon Your Present Blessings
- La-D-Da Sweet Pea (on Floba, FFO’d even!)
- Tis The Season Abigail’s Sampler (good for learning new stitches)
- Faby Reilly Fox biscornu (ready to FFO at the Thames Retreat)
Still to complete:
- Chatelaine Castle I (still back stitching the gate)
- Beth Twist/Heartstring Samplery Coffee Quaker (my over one conversion)
- Mirabilia Princess Elliana (still working on conversion)
- Mirabilia Le Nouveau Sampler (LHS of garden)
- Mirabilia Fairy Tales (to bead)
Started since we last chatted:
- Nora Corbett Coral Charms (converting to the same look as my Luce Mia mermaid)
- Stitching Jules’ Watercolour Sheltie (via etsy, about 15%)
- HAED Lesley Anne Ivory Tournee Le Chat Noir (about 12%, but it’s HUGE)
- Ink Circles Red Velvet
- HAED Aimee Stewart Cliffhanger (mini, just over 26%)
- Just Nan Garden Porch Mice (on floba)
I’m also working on the Nora Corbett Patreon pattern, Rogue Dragon. He’ll be converted, as hers is red/orange tones, and that isn’t my jam. He’s the next cab off the rank once Garden Porch Mice is done, as I really do want to see what & how the humbug forms. I’ve not completed one of those before. One of the ladies at the embroidery group I go to had one done last month, but on 32ct so much smaller. I have the 32ct for this one still with the chart, but I doubt I’ll do it again. Also, the urn and mice could go well into another Hare, especially if I was to use the same shape as the Sweet Pea I finished this month.
Anyway, I will try to write more frequently. I’d like to get back into a weekly routine again, and Zeb has been asking for flosstube again. Not sure if I have the emotional spoons for that but we’ll see. Where on earth would I start from??