WIP Wednesday #247

Morning everyone! First things first – happy birthday to my Melbournite brother Rob x

Last week’s challenge was up to 1000 stitches on something that involved collecting a dragon egg. I chose my Teresa Wentzler kit, The Guardian, & I was so happy to see the cliffs emerge. The softer, distant cliffs are half-stitch, so I ended up with over 650 of those (226 “real” stitches) while the nearer cliff is full cross using the same blends. I do wonder if TW would use the same blends now that DMC has expanded so much more than it was in 2000 (the copyright date for this kit)?

This week’s challenge is one point for every 100 stitches, again up to 1000, on your favourite WIP. I’m breaking away from one of the Ultimate challenges to use Mermaid of Atlantis. I do love how this is working up. The 28ct Lugana fabric is a mystery one (I can’t find the label, eep, but I think it’s a Silkweaver) but I love the mottled effect.

Have a good week!

05/06 WIP (short weeks confuse me) #247

Morning everyone! Its post a three-day-weekend (Happy Birthday Your Majesty) and I didn’t get as much stitching done as I would have hoped – we spent most of the weekend cleaning my MIL’s old house and prepping it for sale – with my SIL conspicuously absent. With over three quarters of the house and outside done, our little family is walking away. Done with the frustration around the no-show, and demands, and oh-I’m-a-victim mentality. It’s very, very toxic.

Onto the good stuff – most of us are well. Now that we can focus on our house, I’m sure the environment will improve (it’s hard to be positive and rest when all you can see is things left undone). M & Z are doing well at school; B actually went to his course for a couple of days (motivation is lacking in this one) but picked up an extra day of work) & L is looking to move back home (eep! But at least she cooks).

20190603_152052.jpgSo over Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I would have been lucky to put in 100 stitches on Mermaid of Atlantis. I had knocked out the 300 for the penalty homework but was also hoping to complete another Ultimate challenge but I only achieved that binge-watching Midsomer Murders yesterday afternoon. I ended up frogging the GAST that I had intended to carry over to her tail and am going back to the charted colours. It was just too bright, and too hard to control the light-over-scales effect.

This week’s challenge is to collect the dragon egg (the first task in Goblet). We could choose any piece, as long as we could make up a story about how it ties in. Mine is super simple! I’m using The Guardian, by Theresa Wentzler, which has a golden dragon guarding a castle. Because as any Anne McCaffrey reader knows, before you get a dragon egg, you need a golden dragon queen! Don’t even think of the chicken/egg question Elizabeth!! There’s a point for every 100 stitches, up to 10 points. I intend to get them all.

WIP Wednesday #244

20190513_134524Morning! Our week has been pretty good – MIL is back home (on oxygen permanently) but is more able to participate in family life, is great with her friends and we had a lovely Mother’s Day dinner (I cooked, but I left the cleaning J). Ms Louise chose flowers for both of us & did a lovely, slightly unconventional, job of it.

20190510_081046Mase had Book Week and on Friday, dressed as Calvin and Tiggr “dressed” as Hobbes. Yep, we’re all about the classics in our house! On the redeeming front, Zac is chosing to read & study To Kill a Mockingbird.

On stitching, I finished the second part of the biscornu but haven’t FFO’d it (insert chicken noises here). I did start another Mirabilia – Mermaid of Atlantis – and am planning to use this for most of the #magicalstitches extra credit challenges for the Goblet of Fire May/June months. I started with #2, as the shell chandelier/light was approved as something that might be at a fancy ball AND it was the middle of the top; now I’m working on task #1 (500 on something that could be found in the lake) with the fish, and I’m about 70 stitches off completing that challenge (I need to take an update photo), and combined with task #10 (200 stitches on a piece that has something that lays eggs) I’m working on the border, on the theory that fish lay eggs. That’s not quite at the half-way mark. Like a lot of people, I’m very motivated at the start of a piece!

This week’s challenge is WIP list based again – and as I have less than 20 WIPS, I’m allocated to option 2, 350 stitches each on WIP #1 & #7. Seven is actually the biscornu, so I have approval to jump the line to #8, which just so happens to be Raven Queen. Progress shots next week!